If You Wish To Convert
Questions and Answers Never Plead Ignorance Islam's continued Success in the Developed World Accepting Islam: The Proper Way Was Islam spread by the sword? Let's Visit Converts Around the World! Names - Male & Female & Forbidden Whose Islam is it? Making America an Islamic Country The Incredible World of American Muslims American Muslims must take the Lead A Revolution without Revolutionaries Islam is for Those who Think Islam is YOUR Birthright! Frustrations of Converts, Complacency of the Ummah Afraid to Convert? Learning to Breathe
- What arethe Requirements of a Non-Muslim who wishes to convert?
Every person is born a Muslim because we are all created by the One Almighty God hence, a preferred term would be REVERSION rather than conversion. A Non-Muslim becomes a Muslim when he believes in his heart : "There is no deity but Allah and I bear witness that Muhammad is His Messenger" Hence, belief in the Unity and Oneness of God and that Muhammad is his Messenger makes one a Muslim at heart.
However, in many countries, the following apply because of local legislations on religious and racial harmony:
* In some countries like Singapore,the males must be at least 18 years old and the females must be at least 16 years old.
* His/Her conversion must be registered in a mosque or an Islamic religious body. In the case of Singapore, it can be done at the Islamic Religious Council (MUIS), the Singapore Muslim Missionary Society (Jamiya), The Muslim Converts' Association of Singapore (Darul Arqam) or the Registry of Marriages.
* He/She officially converts by pronouncing the shahadah (pledge of conviction of faith) in Arabic thus: "Ash HaduAllaa Ilaaha Il-lallaah Wa Ash Hadu Anna Muhammadar Rasullulah" which means "I bear Witness that there is no deity but Allah and I bear witness that Muhammad if His Messenger". The pledge is to be taken in front of at least two adult Muslim witnesses.
* He/She must take a Muslim name
* He/She must take up a basic course on Islam, preferably before the conversion.
- Is it compulsory for a Non-Muslim man to be circumcised upon conversion?
A boy who has not attained puberty must be cirucumcised when his family converts to Islam.
Circumcision is optional for a man above the age of puberty, (but he who opts not to be circumcised should regularly clean the area underneath the foreskin of his sex organ because, in Islam, cleanliness of the body is obligatory for performing prayers).
- Why is adopting a Muslim name so Important upon conversion?
Two important reasons are given below, but otherwise, adopting a Muslim name is not necessary. Belief in God and His Messenger (Prophet Muhammad) and adhering to Islamic teachings are sufficient to make a person Muslim before God.
* Purely for the sake of identification as a Muslim by other Muslims.
* When a Muslim wants to enter Makkah and Madinah to perform Hajj or Umrha, he has to produce documents to show that he is a Muslim as Non-Muslims are not allowed to enter these holy cities.
- Can a Non-Muslim who Converts retain his/her previous name?
Yes he/she certainly can do so. Here are examples of names of people who have converted
Hassan Guy Eaton previously known as Guy Eaton, Ruke Aldeen Smith, Aisha Gouverneur,
Abdel Rashid Skinner, Ahmed Holt, Murad Aldeen, Ibrahim Hewitt, Ahmad Bullock,
Yusuf Islam previously known as Cat Stevens, Ahmed Thomson, Jodi Anway, Mohammadzadeh, Susan Elsayyad, Jamilah Kolocotronis Jitmoud.....
The possibilities are endless...
A Non-Muslim immediately becomes a Muslim upon pronouncing the shahadah in front of two adult Muslim witnesses. A Muslim has to do the daily prayers, fast in Ramadan and apply the teachings of Islam in his daily life. But if a convert is unable to do all the prayers immediately after his conversion, he should try to do those he could. However, he should aim to be a practising Muslimas soon as possible in order not to miss out in the race to accumulate blessings.
- How Long Does it Take for a Convert to be a fully-fledged Muslim?